Through my constant exploration into my own experience of being a woman I find myself wanting to engage more with the public to confront them with the attitudes we face daily as a direct result of living in a patriarchal society. We are always performing invisible labours in work and personal relationships that are unpaid and unknown to many. The idea of The Grope Show came from a discussion surround the title which came from a random joke. The Grope Show sounded like the ideal name for my first performance piece as part of WILMA presents. The thought process was collaborate with the creators of WILMA as we discussed possible aspects of the show.

The main part of the show is to use the bar as a backdrop to a Coyote Ugly inspired performance that would be live streamed on a camming website. To combine physical labour with emotional labour I would serve the drinks as well as perform. Performing emotional labour, for example, acting like I am enjoying the work and the company of the audience. Then adding the extra level of emotional labour with the performance of a sexual feminine woman performing sex work on the camming website combines two worlds thought to be wildly different, and puts them into the same context.

Another aspect of the performance suggested was to create Pokemon cards but with misogynist men instead of Pokemon characters. These would be handed out for people to trade and play with. This idea feels like something I could develop over a long period of time as I work out the details and add to the pile as and when abusers are made known to us. They may also extend to regular people rather than just celebrities. Because my work is largely digital I would ideally like to have a bank of these online with templates for people to create their own.

As far as music I felt there was a lot of music still being made, bought and listened to by known abusers that I could create a playlist from. However that would involve giving views to problematic artists. This is something I will have to think more about.  

I want this work to reach people’s stigmas about emotional labour, sex work and femininity. I think this work compliments WILMA so much because it is interactive and gives room for discussion.

Georgina Tyson