Since high school I’ve been going to lots of art exhibitions, now as well. But I found that many of artworks I’ve seen are quite unintelligible, even in my view should not be included in an art exhibition, are not worthy appreciated. When I feel I could not understand the work by my eyes I usually try to read the exhibition description. After reading I could understand the meaning behind the artwork a little bit, but when I look back at the artworks,  I still cannot interpret an resonate with them…

This makes me thinking: Art originally is to be appreciated, if the artwork itself can not infects viewers, but has to be alongside with text to exist, to be called ‘Art’, then what’s the meaning of Art? Is art just derivative of philosophical thinking?

Which position I should stand to understand contemporary art? Shall I appreciate artwork itself, or the meaning behind it? Artwork is used to be looked, or thought? Should good art relax viewers, or make people think? A piece of good artwork only can exist alongside a paragraph of text?…

ziyin guan

16/11/2017