naz

MAFA Gallery on 16th November 2017. 5-8pm  

I am honoured to be working with two respected artists; Stephen White, currently studying at Chelsea College of Art on the same course as myself -Fine Art, and Harriet Tanswell who recently acquired her her Masters Degree, September 2016.

Titled ‘Transitional Oracular’ the theme of the show revolves around our personal works and disciplines;

Transitional “movement,
passage, or change from one position, state, stage, subject, concept, etc., to another; change:

Oracular;
“of the nature of, resembling, or suggesting an oracle :
an oracular response.
giving forth utterances or decisions as if by special inspiration or authority.
uttered or delivered as if divinely inspired or infallible; sententious.
ambiguous; obscure.
portentous; ominous.

At the exhibition I presented three pieces of work, which I deem relevant to the title theme.

Interminable Eyes on the Keys of Life’: demonstrating the use of found objects along with photographic imagery. I consider the work not only a rearrangement of received notions, but as an homage/development on Man Ray’s ‘Object to be Destroyed’ (Objet à détruire 1923), with the intention to charm/mesmerise; an invite into the presence of ‘Time & Space’; an illusion of being eternally watched.

Link to Film of Interminable Eyes on the Keys of Life

Renaissance Resurrected: appropriated historical/iconic imagery, digitally manipulated combined with self-portraits, creating an abstracted sense of identity; a crossroads where ‘Space and Time’ congregate with memories. Incorporated in this pictorial project is one of the primal fear shape, the rectangle or obstacle, as postulated by photographic artist William Mortensen’s (1897-1965) theory, a blockage impeding our way to a direct progress or understanding, obscuring the unknown-triggering a subconscious fear response, touching our primal core, compelling further investigation.

Image sizes = A.3 42 x 29 cms

After Man Ray; Homage to Marquis de Sade: photographic montages inspired by Man Ray’s surreal provocation “Monument to D.A.F. de Sade” “The Divine Marquis’ (1930):”- using my archival and current images to create a pictorial tribute to the man who the surrealists considered to be the ideal of “freedom”. Suggestions of de Sade’s proclivities are within the inverted crosses referencing anti-clericalism, encouraging an examine of the themes, elements and controversies – art or pornography?

Image sizes= A.1 84 x59 cms

Afternoon designated crit; only one person made an appearance; hence nothing to respond to, no feedback per se!!

Exhibition reasonably well attended but mainly invited guests, very few from the MAFA courses, and disappointingly only one tutor from the course put in an appearance!

Naz