Above painting –> Acrylic & varnish on canvas. 150 cm x 120 cm –> going to leave as it is for now and potentially come back too. This painting references digital media / photography, through the horizontal, obscured linear strokes. Using tape to create a fragmented effect through the varied layers.

The fragmentation within the piece could be a comment on the failings of modern technology, when a TV’s signal fails and produces a pixelated screen, reminds us that we’re watching moving image – not real. Challenging technology through a traditional craft.

Area of research – Glitch art – The lines, composition and blurred/blended colours within the painting give the aesthetic of a glitch landscape. This led me to break down the photograph of the painting to it’s pixelated form. Simplifying the image, the colours. Turning it from a painting to a pixelated image; presenting it in a digital format.

The middle image below looks like a colour scale, eg. the RGB colour model – look into this. Consider more carefully, the relevance of the colours I’m using. I currently choose my palette as a reaction to my mood, the weather, the season, the environment around me. –> Mix it up. Painting in the CMYK colour model? Cyan, yellow, magenta, black – this particular model references colour printing, a digital media printing process. –> How can I translate contemporary methods and processes within art out of the traditional canvas painting?

Added varnish to this painting. I varnish to create more of a depth, to preserve the materials, to suggest an end to the piece and to add a shine. –> Leads me to focus on varied materials which could create a glossy, shiny finish. –> PLASTIC? / Latex. Up the experimentation game.

Abigail Moffat