An exhibition featuring 30 artists including Andre Breton, Piet Mondrian and Marcel Duchamp supported by “primitive art” in 1942, Marcel stage of obscuring access to the works by an intricate web of twine spewn across the gallery, and within, like insects caught in the web, children, under instruction by Duchamp, played throughout the opening. His use of twine obscures both physical access and viewing of the artworks and gallery, leaving viewers to navigate the installation

16 Miles of Twine

Duchamp’s Twine work is my starting point of research (retrospectively.. sic) taken for its visual presentation and relationship to my own yarn “Geo X” series. Although the direction I have taken is purposefully an abstract structural representation of objects.

Ian Barrington

Geo x-1 f (Bridge)

The relationship between Duchamp’s 1942 work and myself in 2017 is apparent, noted whilst building “Bridge” the balance of the femininity required to handle such a delicate structure, finding the tensile limits before its untimely demise, and yet exudes a distinct masculinity for its, my ownership of the space akin to a spider (although typically female) weaving its web to ensnare its prey, however a sense of strength and empowerment still resided within me as I enjoyed the idea of hunger & capture… potentially a deepening realisation of an overt fetishism & bondage perhaps.

Senga Nengudi

Nb. I have learned of artist Senga Nengudi, whose work evokes dance and movement, entrapment, overcoming challenge, of female identity and empowerment, the works, performed by different people has a delicacy of sensuality unlike the act/ art of bondage which is a purely dominant male paradigm.

ian Barrington