Our intentions were pure, but it just started badly when we saw a shopping trolley in a shop window and embarked upon a discussion surrounding the merits of owning one, how necessary it was to have one in London, and if they outweighed how daggy owning one might make one look. I got over that years ago. You get one that’s black with no patterns your grandma would go gaga over. I personally can’t pull off paisley or any permutations of plaid in a cool hipster chic aesthetic ensemble.

But what always makes me excited, is seeing diverse speciality ingredients and food items everywhere that are typically not stocked in my local Tesco supermarket. I’m originally from Melbourne, which I feel is more ethnically mixed up than London. Though, perhaps it’s because Melbourne is much smaller, its geography easier to traverse, and the migration patterns prior to and during the generation I belong to, ensured a much stronger cross cultural vibe over the broad expanse of the city than what you see across London as a whole. And London’s issues are MUCH more complex and convoluted than just those few things.

I ended up buying a lot of interesting stuff, like an undisclosed number of packets of plantain chips (ALL were consumed before the end of our outing).

Don’t go inside Kahn’s Bargain store unless there’s a rope tethered to you and someone holding it outside to pull you out when you’ve been gone too long. I won’t include the picture of Ancel and all her purchases, she’d kill me.

And when it was physically impossible to carry anymore, and the sun went down and the night grew cold, we really felt like it was time to go home.

An interesting juxtaposition to the night out at Berkley square. You can forget how different London is the further out you move from zone 1-2.

Next time we go straight to the art galleries before doing anything else.

Lora Nikolaeva Nikolova.