RACHEL WHITEREAD

RACHEL WHITEREAD

12 September 2017-21 January 2018  Tate Britain

Rachel Whiteread is one of Britain’s leading contemporary artists, Whiteread uses industrial materials such as plaster, concrete, resin, rubber and metal to cast everyday objects and architectural space. Her evocative sculptures range from the intimate to the monumental.

Born in London in 1963, Whiteread was the first woman to win the Turner Prize in 1993. The same year she made House 1993–1994, a life-sized cast of the interior of a condemned terraced house in London’s East End, which existed for a few months before it was controversially demolished.

Bibliography:

TATE BRITAIN. (2017). RACHEL WHITEREAD. Available: http://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-britain/exhibition/rachel-whiteread. Last accessed 30th Nov 2017.

*She explores family space and its significance as an important place of memory and history. She is playing with the space and change it dramatically with great imagination. She is also use many different material. I am really interested of the material resin that she used in many works. Unfortunately I can’t use it in any workshop and studio area in the school, because it is toxic.

She’s work remind me a book I read few years ago, is about spatial crossing and space superposition. Both testing the reverse thinking and imagination of audiences and readers.

Is funny because this show is introduced by one of my friend, he told me he is really depressed because he got the same idea with Whiteread. But after that he noticed from his tutor Whiteread is already did it before him. This also happened on me manny times, sometimes I think about an idea for really long time but someone already did it many years ago. Create a completely new form in art is really not that easy. 

Wanjin Li