I attended an artist-talk/lecture last week by the Icelandic artist; Ragnar Kjartannson at the Royal Academy. It was the most uplifting talk i have ever encountered, and extremely refreshing to see an artist openly enjoy their own creations, and talk about the processes and influences behind the productions.

LONDON, ENGLAND – JULY 13: Ragnar Kjartansson exhibition installation view at Barbican Art Gallery on July 13, 2016 in London, England. The exhibition runs from the 14th July – 4th of September 2016. Courtesy of the artist, Luhring Augustine New York and i8 gallery Reykjavik. (Photo by Tristan Fewings/Getty Images for Barbican Art Gallery)

Ragnar Kjartansson is an Icelandic artist, working mainly with durational performance. His pieces are usually theatrical productions, often incorporating other artistic traditions, such as music, painting, dance and film.  Most of his work involves collaboration with other artists from a wide background.

During the lecture he introduced his practice through different performances and exhibitions. Talking through his main influences within literature, opera, and contemporary music.

I have never experienced a lecture so peppered with laughter, and found the whole encounter very personal and approachable.  The talk left me in a positive attitude and the message : be yourself and do work that you are passionate about.

Monika Tobel