Recent painting –> Acrylic on canvas. 200 cm x 105 cm –> large, horizontal, blues, turquoise, diagonal lines. Traces of red & copper to cut into the cold palette. Very contrasting colours juxtaposed against the last painting. Negative space, have filled three quarters of the canvas with colour – open to edit.

Two paintings I’ve been working on so far in the studio are playing with this element of a white absence on the picture plane. This technique offers a strong, stark contrast between the bright white of the primed canvas, and the expressive, rich area of colour; emits a dramatic aesthetic. Referencing a technique found in painting’s history; the strong use of light and dark shadows and the deep colours of the traditional Baroque period. The colour is cutting through the surface, eating it, slashing through it, made more dominant by the use of line. Romanticism to the image, through the use of shading, could be read as a landscape. The painting could be a television screen, could I project on to the canvas to make a moving image?

Expression –> Expressionists / Abstract Expressionists have always guided my practice. Despite being an expressive painter, I’m aware that the work, particularly my current work, also tackles a large element of consideration. Regaining control of the abstract image through the lines created by masking areas off with tape. The tape preserves segments of detail, as I layer the rest of the painting with thick coats of acrylic.

Strategy of controlled contingency –> a dialogue with my colours and considered application plays key role in this strategy. How I use the build up of colours to manipulate emotions of viewer.

Moving forward, I want to display a double-sided canvas with all sides and edges of the canvas visible for the viewer. Have stretched two large canvases in wood workshop, going to attempt to fix these together. I want to reflect the mercurial qualities of the paintings, in the way I choose to present –> installation? Can the painting move within the gallery? Rotate on a plinth!?

Abigail Moffat