Image Credit: Paul Schofield @PS_Schofield

Earlier last week Microsoft had announced that they would not be re-releasing
their Paint programme into the next update of Windows 10 after 32 years.

Twitter went into meltdown over the news, as masses of people took to the site to 
protestWhat amused me was that despite probably not using the
 programme in over 20 years, people were still shocked and annoyed at the announcement. 
A lot of people were associating the programme with memories from childhood:

'RIP MS Paint. RIP our childhoods' pic.twitter.com/UpNYEDe4cA

— Ramsha (@Economistaken) July 24, 2017

The people of Twitter spoke and their cries heard and prayers answered as Microsoft 
has since announced that it will save MS Paint by making it an app instead of a computer
 programme, which can be downloaded onto your smartphone from the Windows app store.

It got me thinking about the medium of paint and the its supposed 
'death'. Even though paintings death warrant was issued over 100 years ago ever since
the wake of the photograph and more recently with the dawn of the virtual/ digital age, its
seems painting has still managed to defy the odds and escape its predicted fate. I'm almost
apologetic when say that I am painter.  Admittedly its seems a rather strange thing to do in our day and age.  
Being a kid from the 90s, I guess I live in an awkward space between 
nostalgia and adaption to the virtual revolution.  There is a reluctance to let go of the 
world as I used to know it. By gripping onto the medium, and that fragile material intimacy
 there is an attachment to a certain romanticism surrounding the act. The challenges 
I find myself trying to face as a young artist is not recoil into that formalist nostalgia, but 
adapt.  Like MS Paint, its not about continuing to exist the way it has always done, its about 
reinventing, but not letting go. To keep painting alive.

LONG LIVE PAINT

Yasmine Robinson