A few months ago I came across the Twitter account “Cursed Images” and I have to say it is so refreshing for me to have a break from perfectly curated photographs and people’s false sense of selves. What I like about these photos is the raw unedited quality they have that no longer exists, as everything these days is basically flawless due to the endless choice of filters.

The Cursed Images Twitter account shares pictures that are supposedly “cursed”, but in reality are just old WTF pictures from years ago. Most of them to me aren’t remotely scary, but they are strangely funny or off-putting, which is close enough to cursed for me.

Recently, @cursedimages has garnered some media attention — including write-ups in Gizmodo and The New Yorker. The gimmick of the account is simple: It posts unattributed photos and labels each one a “cursed image.” What makes an image “cursed”? “Cursed images, to me, leave you with a general uneasy feeling,” the account’s anonymous tells Gizmodo in an interview. “There could be certain qualities, like someone looking directly at the camera or an orb floating in the background.” For me this is an appealing idea — that there is something inherent to the subjects of the photographs that makes them “cursed”. Many of these images already were sort of forgotten,” says the admin. “I found a few buried deep in weird and abandoned paranormal photography websites. But the really humorously odd ones have definitely turned into more than what the photographers intended.”

What I love the most about these photographs is that It really leaves the story behind them up to you, and you’re just dying to know the purpose behind these pictures. If the photographers hadn’t decided to share these bizarre images with the world, they could’ve been buried and forgotten. I think it’s nice to be able to transform them into this idea of a ‘cursed image,’ and let others appreciate just how weird these images are.

FERN O’ Carolan