YouTube Preview Image

I find Shrigley’s work refreshing. It is provocative and poignant in a carefree, humorous way. In this interview there is one point that I relate too very well. Working between studio practice and real life, work, mostly surrounded by people who don’t understand the point of art making.

‘When people talk about my work… it is about the human condition, about emotional things and perhaps that’s what gives it a universal appeal, but as an artist I don’t think you set out to make any work in any particular way, or make work with any particular content, I certainly never did anyway. I think the work just evolves.’

He speaks about a conversation with his mother after his first exhibition:

M: So you’ve been to Denmark, what were you doing there?
D: I had an exhibition.
M: What were you exhibiting?
D: Drawings.
M: So what happens to the drawings?
D: Oh, people buy them.
M: Why???
D: Laughs, I don’t know, I guess you need to ask them that question, I guess they like them.
M: But what would they do with them?
D. They put them in a frame and put them in their home on the wall.
M: Oh, that’s strange isn’t it?
D: I guess it is in a way, laughs.

‘I guess making drawing was a way to say a lot of stuff, it wasn’t necessarily that I had a lot to say, it’s just that in making art, somehow, I end up saying a lot of things which are sort of slightly different from having something that you need to express, its more that I have a need to express. I don’t have this information in my head that I have to tell people, its not some didactic thing, its more just a process, a catharsis. All this stuff seems to come out through making work but its not something that I’m really very conscious of, it just that’s the residue of the process.’

‘I don’t really know what the work means. I’m more than happy for other people to have their own interpretation. I think it’s quite important that art work for me exists as a proposition. In a way that I suppose that all conceptual art exists as a proposition. I accept that there will be different answers or responses to my propositions.’