A few months ago during my stay in London, I got the opportunity to go to the Photographers’ Gallery to see Gregory Crewdson’s work. I also have seen a documentary called Gregory Crewdson: Brief Encounters on DVD and from my perspective, the use of the colours that the photographer has used are unique, very whimsical and surreal and the lights he used are remarkable that no one would work like Crewdson’s work.

A short biography of the photographer:

Gregory Crewdson (born September 26, 1962) is an American photographer and he photographs tableaux of American homes and neighbourhoods. At Purchase College, State University of New York, he began experimenting with photography, not yet taking it seriously, Crewdson only saw it as a creative outlet and hobby. Crewdson’s photographs usually take place in small-town America, but are dramatic and cinematic. They feature often disturbing, surreal events. His photographs are elaborately staged and lit using crews familiar with motion picture production and lighting large scenes using motion picture film equipment and techniques. Crewdson’s photography became a convoluted mix between his formal photography education and his experimentation with the ethereal perspective of life and death.

Here is the trailer of the documentary that I was watching: