Live Project Group 5!
The Invisible Art Gallery featuring LaundromArt. @ Barbican

Working as collective group we decided upon individual contributions to the site. Either making work on site, placing work or performance etc.

Stemming from my practise and interests in liminal, threshold space, and the unfamiliar. I decided to conceal a machine, using found black bin bags and string. The concept behind this was to change the state of the machine- obstruct it purpose. Creating a liminal state. Creating boundaries.

This idea also stemmed from visual research. The image below shows the statues and monuments at Waddesdon Manor, wrapped up and protected for the winter period. These strange forms appear throughout the Waddesdon Estate and reflect a similar covering up, protecting and ‘putting to bed’ of the Manor House itself. As part of the staff as Waddesdon Manor I contributed to this ‘putting to bed’ and it really resonated with me how concealment opens binary connotations between the strange, unfamiliar and haunting and the act of protection, security and shelter.

I felt also, this sense of shelter may resonate with the location of the laundromat, a place of familiarity, routine, comfort and shelter- an extension of the home. The interior. The domestic. Dwelling.

The work and the placement/ location of the work and group project provoked a reaction from a member of the public. A local who used the Laundromat frequently. The piece in particular seemed to aggravate them, they could not cope with the boundary. The unfamiliar act of concealing the machine, which became threatening to her. Although there were many machines, the act of taking possession, creating a boundary, permitting the use of the machine resulting in the member of public tearing down the work.

An underlying antagonism which seemed to run through the overall concept of the live projects.

Although due the reaction of a member of public I felt uncomfortable and after witnessing antagonism on both parts from the outside view I left the situation. This made me reflect and identify with placing myself on the edge, the peripheral of a situation or act, of which seemed familiar to me. The notion of edges and the peripheral seems to reoccur throughout my practise and nature of my research.

April Jackson

www.apriljacksonart.com

SaveSave

SaveSave