I watched Channel 4’s new sitcom ‘Derry Girls’ which premiered last Thursday. The episode follows (albeit a slightly exaggerated) everyday life of a group of teenagers set in the early 90’s in context of the time of the ‘Troubles’ the city Derry/Londonderry (whatever your persuasion) in Northern Ireland (Which happens to be my home city). The episode is based around the ‘inconvenience’ caused to characters due to the main bridge in Derry/Londonderry being closed because of a bomb scare. What amused me was, despite the potential threat, was the complete normality by which the characters acted. Past the Northern Irish humour and witty gags, for me the episode reminded me how different our political and social culture is to anywhere else in the world. I couldn’t help but feel a certain amount of nostalgia for my home town. I mean, where else in the world would find people who get a ‘wee’ bit excited about a bomb scare because it means you might get to go home from work early or have the ability to predict a person’s religious background by how they pronounce the name of a city with the inclusion/exclusion of ‘London’ at the front of it.

It also brought to light for me that although Northern Ireland has seen significant developments from the years of the troubles, the implications and scars from years of conflict are still very much embedded within our political and cultural landscape and identities. That’s the thing, coming from NI abnormal is the normal. For me that’s what ‘Derry Girls’ has captured.

+++

If you fancy giving it a watch click on the link bellow to watch on demand: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/derry-girls/on-demand/59741-001 Next episode airs tonight at 10pm on Channel 4!

Yasmine Robinson