Casting an eye back to my previous works I recognise humanistic features and deeper elements of human analysis of the psyche, quite freudian, but I’m often in debate with myself to whether this is something of a self catharsis. This unconscious conscious method to create leads me to look deeper into a possible neurosis of creative process.

The aluminium sculpture is an inquisitive reference to the psychological Ink blot tests named after the Swiss inventor, psychiatrist and neurologist Hermann Rorschach (1884-1922). As an aspiring artist and sociologist, topics of an existentialist nature are conventional. At the core of the debate is ethnocentrism vs egocentrism. With this piece I challenged both my social and personal pressures at the time, an object of self reflection. With questions, fears and anxieties for personal development. The negative space surrounding the table body outlines the side profile view of man. The symbol is often used as a reference to the social sciences.

Moving forward and in an effort to understand myself, my work and others in greater depth I decided to enrol in a 12 week course at the Freud Museum.

“ Psychoanalysis after Freud”. –  https://freud.org.uk/events/76887/psychoanalysis-after-freud/

Arriving at the house I felt a sense of intense curiosity. Not a feeling of trespass or entering the home of a giant historical figure. Possibly because I wasn’t here for the day tour but mearly the philosophy course. The lesson attempted and achieved a well balanced comparison between the core philosophies, tensions and differences between psychological believes of Sigmund Freud 1856-1939 and Carl Gustav Jung 1875-1961.

Freud – The Path of critical rejection of the christian faith legacy. Religion & ideas are illusions. An Atheism based on natural sciences. Believes the sciences increase human happiness and decrease human Anxiety. Core Believe Humans are machines – Through the rational and organisation by looking back at causes of past events in our lives we can shape our future. Materialism. The Past as ta means to go Forward.

Carl Gustav Jung – The Path of constructive retention of what was truly valuable in Christian Legacy. The Christian Legacy contained something essential to our humanity. Namely the aspirations overcome the limitations of our ordinary human condition. The essence of Humanity is not fixed it is for all. Because we have the ability to self-transform. We are forward moving and the psyche is always trying to move forward. The Future as a means to go Forward.

Carl Gustav Jung. Artist, craftsman and builder as well as a prolific writer.His work enters fields of Psychiatry, anthropology, archaeology, literature, philosophy and religious studies – I found an immediate similarity and sense of place in reference to religion and christianity that Jung portrayed in his work. The below work also has a William Blake spiritual likeness.  The far right image reminded me of Anthony Gormley’s “Angel of the North.

Ross McCormick