It seems that the use of technology in art is mainly to interact with the audience or for entertainment purposes. Technology helps people realizing imagination which was only existing in fantasy in the past. But when this becomes a daily and ordinary, beautiful things in the imagination would be surpassed or destroyed and lost its charm. However, in reality, these technologies are not perfect and do not satisfy people’s demands. So people are constantly refining technology, making computer smarter and smarter.

So will human pursuing the supreme technology, such as AI, lead to self-destruction?

Will human become the Kua Fu*?

*Kua Fu is a giant in Chinese mythology who wished to capture the Sun.

the story:

One day, Kuafu decided to chase and catch the Sun. With each stride he gets closer to the Sun, however, he could never catch up to it.

He followed the Sun from the East to the West, draining all rivers and lakes crossing his path as sources of water to quench his burning thirst as he closed in on the star. However, he wasn’t able to finish his quest because he died of the extreme heat and exhaustion.

In modern Chinese usage, the story of Kua Fu chasing the Sun (夸父追日) is used to describe a person who fails to obtain his goal because he greatly overestimates himself.

The video at top is an art installation developed by video artist Chris Milk called “Treachery of the Sanctuary,” it’s meant to explore the creative process through interactions with digital birds.

In the audiences shadows on the third screen, the participant is bestowed with wings.

How It Works: Chris Milk’s The Treachery Of Sanctuary

“I’ve been making these projects in different ways for different audiences, and I’ve been trying to figure out ways to use technology to connect with an audience on a deeper level than we could without the use of that technology,” Milk says. “To do it at scale means doing it on the internet. If we want a million people to be able to experience something simultaneously with interactive I can’t do it in a museum. I have to do it online.”

But there might be a way of combing the two, and Milk sees virtual reality as being the key to creating emotionally engaging work which can also reach a mass audience. “My goal is always a human one,” he explains, “The technology that I’m using on one end of the spectrum is emotionally engaging, but not scalable, and on the other side it’s scalable but not as emotionally engaging. And what I’m trying to find is how to have both: emotionally engaging and scalable. And that’s VR.” We anxiously await the day we’ll be able to enjoy The Treachery of Sanctuary from home.

People could have wings, how romantic it is.

Angels images in Art History: An Angelic Journey through time

The romantic and Victorian Era created some of the most ostentatious contributions to the visions of angels with Queen Victoria’s memorial, nothing has been done since that compares to her’s and prince Albert’s memorial.

The height of Romantic visions is represented by the Ascension of Mary Magdalene in the Church of the Magdalene in Paris France. Created by Carlos Marochetti who also did the facade on the Arc de Triumph and queen Victoria’s Memorial all prominently featuring romanticized angel images.

Queen Victoria’s Memorial erected 1911

Is the image of the angel destroyed? When everyone can turn themselves into angels through technology.