I recently went to Rome specifically to eat pasta and see the Capuchin Monk’s Catacombs and it was incredible. Probably one of the most impressive things I have seen in my lifetime – It felt like I was on the set of a really, really good and incredibly well art directed horror film – but it was all real. Theres nothing like the bones of 3,700 human beings and a few rotten corpses to make you think about your purpose in life – or how completely unimportant you are.

Here are some snaps not by me as you aren’t allowed to take photos – not helpful for a blog post but very helpful to not ruin the surprise.

There are 5 rooms or chambers that house different arrangements of the remains of long deceased Capuchin Friars on top of soil supposedly brought from Jerusalem. It was incredible to see something so old that still related so directly to so many things I am interested in now. Even now I still cant express how much I enjoyed it.

After posting this fantastic image from a trip to the small but fantastically shite Wax Museum on Instagram…

…I was reminded of Dario Argento museum in Rome by a friend. Having perhaps over done it on Argento a few years before he had slipped to the very back of my mind but I was still extremely excited to see the museum. Argento is the director of classic semi avant-garde Italian horror films like Proffondo Rosso, Suspiria and Demons. The museum is a collection of original props from his movies presented in an extremely lo-fi fashion mixed with various photographs and one off artworks beneath the Proffondo Rosso horror shop (where I picked up a copy of this absolute belter). It seemed more like an amateur effort than something the director himself put together which made the whole experience incredibly endearing. It felt like I was in the private collection of super fan with too much time and money on his hands, I loved it.

What’s most interesting about the collection is how hap-hazardly curated the whole thing is. It seems bizarre that someone responsible for such a visually stimulating film as Suspiria could put his name to this. I say ‘bad’ however I probably loved it more for that – it certainly made it more unique.

The idea of museums and these types of public collections as opposed to galleries is something I am beginning to reference in my work in more detail. I have always been keen on collecting and experimenting with ways of displaying my personal collections – even if its just round my house. I very rarely have one of anything.

As I mentioned in previous posts – my aim now is to create a future public museum collection. I want to see how my relationship with the items I am sourcing changes if I treat them as a collection that no longer belongs to me. Will I be more or less precious with how I change them according to the stories I affix to them? Or under the recent influence of the Argento museum do I even need to source objects anymore? I’m certain I can match the level of craftsmanship of the items on show there (with a little practice). So far I had only been thinking about museums that house original items when there are a wealth that house purely recreations. An element of the collection could be sculptures of characters not just clothing or artefacts. This opens up many avenues as far the creation of fantasy races of humans and other lifeforms to add even more absurd depth to the stories I want to tell.

Pasta was very good too!

DANIEL FREEMAN