Tbf Clarissa never explained anything useful and she had a pet alligator so…

This is a retrospective blog btw (I probably don’t need to point that out)

So Greta Gerwig is my hero, or all her characters are, I don’t know which. I had already watched ‘Frances Ha’ and realised much like many people my age, in my ‘living state’ that I am obviously her. She is depressingly funny and too good for anyone hence why she’s ‘undatable’ (I obvs don’t think that about myself – or maybe I do??) albeit she is also a mess. Her best friend is one of those friends who you love and you think, “aww they do have a great relationship”, but then Sophie (that’s her name) decides that she can actually progress her life much faster than you with a bf and a cool job and so gets up and leaves, and then you have to have that awkward convo where you sound excited and pleased for them but actually just want them to stay by your side, living the same life as you so that you feel you are #teamnotsoyoungadultmesseswhodon’tcareifyoujudgeuscosweobviouslychosethislife.

I also have a friend called Sophie who did that, but that was ages ago and I’m over it now (ha!). Plus she was already a doctor so she never really fit in and she left us for a girl who was also our friend which was better than a boy who we would be forced to accept over a long period of time . Fortunately I still have a small peer group of #teamnotsoyoungadultmesseswhodon’tcareifyoujudgecosweobviouslychosethislife. #saferinnumbers

‘Frances Ha’ is funny, sensitive, vulnerable and (for me) encouraging. There is jealously, empathy and sympathy for Frances, who is omnipotent yet apologetic about her lifestyle and choices yet harmless and awkward and therefore lovable. The only unease about making comparisons is that you know she can’t last…

Anyway, here are just a few of my fave scenes that explain it all.