The American Revolution is a series created by American painter Shawn Huckins, the work is a merger of early American portraiture in the context of 21st century lexicons. Combining the political revolution of the 18th century with the technological revolution of the 21st century. Huckin’s work explores the intersection of social media satire and fine art elitism, creating something which questions society’s obsessions with communication that has no real purpose or depth, our unyielding thirst for likes on social media platforms and unwavering dependency on instant communication. Does how we communicate impact the value of what we communicate?

The work combines the old and the new, similar to my own practice. It also makes me consider the way in which I choose to communicate my ideas, I’m often questioned as to why I choose to paint and why I paint in such a technical and realistic manner. I’ve heard it over and over again “but why don’t you just show the photograph?” I consider myself to be a painter before anything else and the style and manner in which I paint just developed naturally. I believe the way in which I choose to communicate my ideas impacts the way in which the work is received and interpreted. Showing a photograph would be completely different to showing a painting which can take months to complete, a piece of work in which I have invested my time and my thoughts to create something where every line and every brush stroke has been considered and placed. Another reason I paint in this way is because it just makes sense when considering my subject matter and the references I make to orientalist paintings from the 18th and 19th centuries. Also I just really like painting ygm.

Elizabeth Oliver: If I Don’t Get Invited To Some Shitty Rooftop Party Where I Drink Too Much And Fall Into Someone’s Mouth, I’ll Be Pissed Off!, acrylic + pencil on canvas, 52 x 40 in (132 x 102 cm), 2012

Mrs. Elizabeth Garland: Do You Understand That I’m Ignoring You Because You’re Being An Asshole?, acrylic on canvas, 36 x 29 in (91 x 74 cm), 2012
– Azraa Motala