I love painting. I don’t want to give it up.  Painting for me is like heroin to Mark Renton. BUT it is labour intensive. It quite often does’nt match up to the intended mental picture and of course its not very NOW! I do as it happens have a first in sculpture at BA (bit of showing off) and have been working towards combining painting or the intention of it at least, with sculpture. It was a really strange moment when everyone, I mean everyone that was present in the studio as Brian made sure they were there, decided that the projected image and the installation really did work extremely effectively and probably better than the painting. It was hard to accept that they had a point. Which they do, and I am over the moon that it does, however it dawned (no pun intended) on me that I could in fact do both. I can make installations like this AND paint. What a revelation!! Anyway…. not having thrown the baby out with the bath water I can interrogate two very different worlds using similar motifs and see what I come up with. Any further suggestions or feed back welcome……

Kate Mieczkowska