This book is great!! Its a bit hard to read, having been translated from german and published in 1912 into early 20th century english. But once vocab is reset back 100 years you realise it talks about how artists(of all mediums) should strive to show the magic of reality, physical or metaphysical. It links Kandinskys painting to that of music as with music his paintings attempt to describe the spiritual rather than the material… this is exactly what I’ve been trying to say about painting not being enough and that people want more and I feel I need to make more than just 2d static paintings… they need to be more alive!! It needs to be an experience inside and out. And as I may have said I want to start making soundscapes that go with my paintings/installation.. I’m not sure Kandinsky achieves this, but perhaps back then it did? In that time? Before moving image was common place… and it’ll make me look a lot harder next time I see a painting of his… that’s for sure!! And it explains his link to music in a way I never understood before, where he was trying to mimic the internal feeling that some people get from listening to music (called frisson, a French word meaning ‘aesthetic chills.’) for example http://www.elleuk.com/life-and-culture/news/a30665/listening-to-good-music-can-give-you-the-chills1/. I did a whole project during my bachelors based on his work but I guess I never understood properly… so strange…

This book really helped make connections to previous at movements, kind of aided in the understanding to evolution of painting, in particular attraction, cubism and impressionism still got a few pages to go and he lost me a bit on the colour theory of his as I feel that it may perhaps be dated but perhaps if i reread it … I’m feeling that it may be unfortunate that it won’t continue on until modern times (although im sure it would be argued that the romanticism idea of the artist is long dead) ..It would be interesting to see what he would come up with these days if still attempting to capture the feeling modern music can instil. anyways a great book.

blair zaye