Perhaps what compels our gratification or curiosity is deep rooted in our subconscious. I often start works through collecting images. I recently came across an image of a submerged temple. I wasn’t actively searching for a temple, just browsing images of differing viewpoints of landscapes. This ‘collecting’ is often done quite haphazardly, so when I needed to source the image for referencing I was unable to relocate it. I proceeded to search for ‘submerged buildings’ as I recollected that the image had a building in the distance, but the interest had mostly been in the images’ composition. Using different digital devices, the browsers act as the ‘image sales vendors’ offering a different series of images in each browser, which made it difficult to find again. Once I found the image again, I read accounts of how the empty 16th Century temple was drowned in the sixties but built by Spanish settlers in America. It has recently emerged due to drought.

In retrospect, I realise that perhaps the image was compelling or familiar, on a subconscious level. Personal histories lay parallel to this narrative. Within the previous blog post, six seconds within the track mention this narrative with imagery of a protest banner from 1965 in Liverpool.

Subconscious memory

Formative years in Hinterland

Role model

Roots

Widow

Teacher

Father

Son of renowned Author

Local Hero

Indigenous

Atavistic

Activist

Anti-Capitalist

Anti-Globalist

Nationalist

Explosives

Criminal

Traitor

Fraternize

Mark Leckey

Shame