I ended up my last blog saying that I was going to research and think of how to ‘celebrate the death of painting’ so death and love…’we kill what we love’ Oscar Wilde once said.

I looked into the history of painting and kind of listed down various artists that had a violent approach to the canvas and/or to the subject painted.

Starting from Fontana and his cut through the canvas, Mimmo Rotella to the Chinese artists Cai Guo-Qiang using explosives to leave marks on the canvas. Then to all the other artists that have worked more on the subject like Bacon, Cecil Brown, Auerback to more modern artist like Adrien Ghenie and Alexander Tinei to mention few.

I am more a visual painter and I need to express my ideas though a final image on the canvas so my concern is how to represent the idea of the art of painting, that is about to end, with a picture?

I am now working on this image that is meant to represent the Hope of this Art in a moment where She is smiling almost laughing.

The idea came up looking at Gericault’s painting The Raft of the Medusa in which he depicts a moment from the aftermath of the wreck of the boat Medusa, many died but only 15 people survived on a raft.

I developed this dramatic and at the same time romantic image into the idea and personification of Hope as the hope of surviving for the Art of painting…but with a dramatic and sinister laugh. ( the painting is in working progress..)

So my research into the ‘celebration of the death of painting’ begins with an ambivalent message: hope and pessimism.

Marco Piemonte