Representation of movement by image is usually be considered as ambiguous due to the contrast between dynamic and stillness. There are several traditional methods for image to deal with movement, and as I know, mainly in two direction, collection and selection.

Method of collection mainly focus on collecting data from the objective reality, liked collecting moments of movement as much as it can, and then using this data base to represent movement. Painting of Futurism is one of the example, which transforms and overlaps numerous images to enrich and construct the composition. On the other hand, flipping effect of animation plays the collected images in sequence to mimic movement.

Method of selection is a simplification to collection, which focuses on choosing critical moment to trigger mental complementation, finishing the illusion of movement in mind. Comic is a typical example for that, which select limited moments to trigger imagination to the previous moment and next moments, somehow liked a compression to movement.

But actually, both of collection and selection mentioned above, are the modification within a single linear path of movement, just liked making different checkpoints within 1 to 10. I had been feeling that is not enough for my topic for certain time, and recently I think that is because of the huge population of image in our mind.

Mentally, movement can be considered as a set of images in our mind, but when we think about movement, we may not only recall one set of images, but many. No matter objectively or subjectively, the era of internet and digitalization have changed our relationship with images, it makes image flooding in internet, and also in our mind, at least, in my mind.

Recently I test appropriating images from widely different popular culture without direct nor narrative relationship, which also reduces my painting problem about the empty composition caused by abstraction leaded by simplification. And the ambition of my topic seems change from about dynamic of movement to about radical mental leap.

Perhaps, when I imagines about movement, what excites me is not the single linear path of movement, but the radical leap across multiple series of images, different moments or different parts of body could be associated to different actions, which is more chaotic and non-expectable, and more exciting. It’s a bit similar to the style called “stream of consciousness”, liked the interesting movie below:

YouTube Preview Image

For sure, I paint because I love painting, but for objectively sorting out the relationship between painting and my topic, painting is a platform for roaming, which slows down the stream of consciousness and crystallizes it, allowing appreciation to the dynamic of imagination from a silence and leisure surface.

I remind myself again, the reason for me to try horizontal rectangle shape of canvas was also for breaking the narrative and direct relationship between figure. Perhaps, the key term “radical leap among images” I found this time is going to be a critical point to lock on my target.

Wai Kit Chan (Hector)