“Our lives are not our own. We are bound to others, past and present.”

“Our lives are not our own.
From womb to tomb, we are bound to others,
past and present.
And by each crime
and every kindness,
we birth our future.”

These lines are extracted from the film, although in the past few years, the film is released, but it’s meaningful for me, when I watched the film in the cinema, then went home and saw that more than once, when the first time you have seen is not able to fully understand the profound connotation, however, the film is a memorable film, now that I think about it, also profoundly influenced me to some of the world.

One of the most impressive points in the film is the birthmark of characters in different stories. Story a birthmark on lawyers ewing chest, two waist birthmark, Robert story three luisa shoulder birthmark, four cavendish birthmark on the leg, the story the five-star beautiful neck birthmark and final lens Zachary birthmark on the back of the head, the arrangement is actually implied a meaning, although different characters in different time and space in the story, but they are not exist in isolation but closely connected, even though we may have with the change of time to the dead, but the connection is there has been, in the film have so line: “I believe that death is just a door, when it is closed, another fan will open.” There is a sense of samsara, though there is some difference between the two. I think it might also be that the director arranges the same actors to play different roles in different stories.

The film also talks about the relationship between cause and effect. To some extent, what the buddhists say is “the seed of karma” is a truth. Star beauty at the end of the story became faith by human decline after the goddess, I think this character to some extent represents a culture of the east, and several other stories from the perspective of western narrative, perhaps the author is trying to express a meaning, is both or Oriental culture and the western world, on the very essence of human problems actually are the same. We know ourselves through the eyes of others, and the enduring nature of human life lies in the consequences of our words and actions, which determine our fate.

This set of story structure, the movie plot, reminds me of the “order”, no matter what is this order, it exists in the form of how, we all, what we call “time”, strange things around us, our lives, are controlled by it, are closely linked, this system is not passive accept the influence of the environment, but to actively influence to the environment, the complexity does not only exist in the “order” object, but the main body of its own complexity.