Human beings tend to find out slight differences and enlarge them into categories. While I am practising Taoism and Buddhism simultaneously, I often encounter people dressed up like a devout Taoist priest with clear signs of traditional Taoism fashion design and  Buddhist with cassock. Those garments they wear when they are out on the streets are way too expressive for me. It is similar to construction workers wearing uniforms, revealing their religion as a result of fearing that one would not notice it and categorising them to others with the same beliefs.

Of course I have no rights to blame them for those explicit indications of them. As a matter of fact, those signs and information could be imposed on the public as a trend of thought or even a trend of fashion. However, the Cynicism that I have noticed in them is what I would like to discuss in the following.

Most of them have been to a few “Holy Mountains” in Eastern Asian countries. Some put “go to spiritual classes in India and Nepal” on their wishlist. Some claim that they fall in love with nature after took some “spiritual pills and water”. Some criticise others as “fakers”. Then I suddenly realised that I am actually the one who did all those things and I am in every aspect among them. I started to regard those I mentioned as pure Cynicism, neither Taoism nor Buddhism.

There is an old saying in Chinese when describing someone is practising a belief but trying too hard in a deviated way which is “走火入魔”. It means “Possessed by the Devil”. From my perspectives, when one touches Cynicism in any religion, he should be cautious as Cynicism is a subtle threshold for “Possessed by the Devil”. In other words, Cynicism leads to inevitably showing something deliberately and being expressive. With such desire and lust, there would be obstacles on the road and prevent you from going further.