After weeks of being in limbo and waiting patiently for feedback, I finally have it, in all it’s confusing glory. During my critical evaluation Patti made a point of telling me ‘Canapés and Conversation’ was “so 1991”, which I agree with. Later, within the same crit Patti also highlighted a trait within my practice that has also left me unsure of how to proceed…

She asked a simple and direct question, one that has been asked by others but one that I hadn’t really thought about too much. “Do you see your practice going more and more towards collaboration?, particularly with Wilma or do you see yourself having your own independent practice?”, fairly straight forward right? Turns out, not so much, through our discussion I explained that I have always collaborated in some form or another since my teens, whether it was playing in bands, making films, making art etc.. I’ve always collaborated, to which Patti proclaimed me as a “vampiric serial dater, a collaborative slut and psycho art girlfriend”, she didn’t say them all together like I’ve written out but that’s how I’ve digested it as it’s pretty spot on. I have always sought out other people, either to gain insights into projects, gain skills within projects or simply to have more fun during a project. I’ve done this so consistently that I don’t really know how to operate on my own.

There’s a certain lack of ego attached to collaboration which I enjoy. It’s pretty much how Will and I began working together. Whenever one of us would pitch an idea we would put it through a Roman gladiatorial thumbs up or thumbs down. If it interested the other then we would begin to expand upon it and build it together but if it was a thumbs down then we would awkwardly laugh and move on and it seems to work. I think I’ve always gravitated towards collaboration because of it’s communal nature and my belief that the best idea will rise to the top and I think I believe in this idea more than my own always being good.…sometimes anyways.

Perhaps I’m destined to be the Garfunkel of collaborative projects, your not 100% sure what he does, but when he’s not in the mix something’s definitely different. Given my past and my ‘psycho art girlfriend’ tendencies I’m going to lean into this and see what else may come of it. Perhaps the conversations I want to focus on would work with this aspect of my practice. The conversations themselves would become a collaboration and potentially the ideas discussed would later become realised through our respective practices in some form or another. This has yet to be realised but it’s something I will explore.

Matthew Weir