It feels really energising to strip down the the bare essentials and go minimalist. It’s kind of poetic and a turning point for me. Now confined and away to the Victorian larder cupboard-of-curiosities have my decapitated heads and hand painted and stitched disembodied women prisoners, been silenced, now de-robed.

The conceptual chapter begins:
Below, materials were sourced direct from the broker in Ealing. Below the top and bottom casing/frames for my next project – (interim show)

Et voila! welded to the casing…and spacers in place…

And another piece I worked on earlier last week and completed after getting the measurements wrong – measure twice cut once, between us we measured hundreds of times and the measurements were wrong! Oversized, luckily.

Below Door Frame in steel 2020mm x 1070mm (interim show)

Then finally in the last ten minutes before we were thrown out of the studios before Easter, I attacked the pristine canvas which had been patiently waiting since early January with an energetic daube of paint. Obliterating its pureness, my imagination through research gave a persona to a real Victorian name (found in the historical ledger in the Morpeth Arms). Meet the oppressed face of a ten year old child. Infliction on intersectional members of society, I call ‘unfairness’. Meet illiterate Mary Heaton, aged 10. Battered and bruised she spent two years incarcerated here at Millbank prison (for stealing bread), due to her gender, class and lack of ability.

Mary Heaton, aged ten oil on canvas 720mmx850mm

Mr Marton Marton DJ, bring your music box back next term; we need to turn up the volume while the atmosphere and heat intensifies. Bring on the Summer term!

Annabel Ludovici Gray