I am enjoying the freedom that a ‘minimalist’ approach is allowing me to create clean lines. From this liberty I have order and simplified. The freedom I experience is an awareness because I choose; I am not restricted by an imposition of prohibition, and which my essay focuses; women in enforced incarceration. It echoes Foucault’s understanding of deprivation of liberty, juridical power society versus individuality. In this case subtraction, deduction and suppression. Today’s prisons’ punish as a subtraction of time from life; years of life is sentenced. Finally served, it is not returned. This is the greatest punishment in place of public torture.

Sharp lines from hard material. The accuracy and repeated lines of order. I could produce the same again and again and become efficiently productive. It may look less but the labour is more. Less to look at but more to excite the imagination. I want a naturalness to allow the viewer to find the art.

“ Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathise with humans whose experiences we have never shared.” JK Rowling

I’ve been playing with industrial material, thinking about the truth and honesty of the material.

I am creating a cell for the interim show in the knowledge that my ambitions are always over worked. I have been defining by means of emphasising; emptying the complexities of reality and hopefully, what remains is the physicality and energy.of the structure. To remember that less is more. How do I eliminate while giving the viewer not too few or too many clues? Criticality is key/ please offer yours.

Annabel Ludovici Gray