Like a teenage girl who just got rejected by handsome Chad because he’d rather go to the homecoming dance with Stacey, I stormed into my bedroom and in rage seasoned tears tore down the posters which supposedly fortified my current practice. I’m never going to mouth along with those lyrics again, fuck you Chad! I’m going to have a make-over and you’ll all regret it!

I have always had a long standing hatred and fear of people in mascot costumes. The fact I can’t see who’s inside, the fact that they probably don’t want to be in there and the fact that if I smile at them, they have absolutely no reason to follow social etiquette and smile back, made me very angry, way too self-aware and just simply horrified. When I see someone in a full Mickey Mouse or Pikachu costume, I assume as the arm part of the cotume dangles loosely, the human arm is discreetly tucked back into the suit and is gently stroking an erect penis or twirling a knife. 

I imagined myself going to a furry convention and like a nightmare, a vision of Freddy Krueger’s face, sticking out of a tight furry suit begun to chase me. I always go on about my work being representative of dreams and in a creative fury wondered what it would be like if the Frankenstein monster of my interests became personified and had the power to travel from dreams, to life, to film. 

an asshole, mascot, Freddy, furry

“The furry fandom is a subculture interested in fictional anthropomorphic animal characters with human personalities and characteristics. Examples of anthropomorphic attributes include exhibiting human intelligence and facial expressions, speaking, walking on two legs, and wearing clothes. Furry fandom is also used to refer to the community of people who gather on the Internet and at furry conventions.”

Obvisouly I don’t think there’s anything wrong with being a furry, I just can’t look past the vacant stare of the dead cotton blend stitched eyes.

A perfect example of a personification of my interests is the antagonist of this, horrifying Adult Swim video, a fever nightmare, reminiscent of being stuck in a drug-addled loop. Too Many Cooks takes a cheesy intro of a 80s/90s sitcom and spirals it into something way more disturbing, meta and murderous.  

Ani Mkrtchyan