The emancipated woman, the 1920’s, post-war attitude, profit, cleanliness and ease. Probably classed as some of the most celebrated, evolutionary and positive reinforcing factors for social change and crucial agents for the industrialised world.

but did we cut corners and doom ourselves?

Through our social history of waste it is evident in the early 1920s (give or take a few decades) mass-production, distribution, industialization and marketing/ advertising changed our habits, for what may have been seen as a greater ideal and ‘better way of living’ concerning health, prosperity, class and convenience. However, has this resulted in the opposite? or at least for our planet. Creating ‘bad’ habits and a ‘throwaway’ society surrounded by devalued goods or as we see it… t r a s h. Just look as the evolutionary timeline of the simple sanitary napkin. What a journey. What an impact. What a change. The butterfly effect in full motion joint with the context of the era.

In my current work I first began looking at the digital and it’s impact on consumerism and ultimately how we live, learn, create and go about our everyday lives. I have been creating digital collages of social media, advertisement and digital influence, initially trying to understand, unpick and realise what I found so fascinating, looking in to the human sociology or psychology behind this. Furthering from this I have been collecting, scavenging and hunting for lists, orders and ‘trace’ of our consumption. Being fascinated by a strangers shopping list and what this said about them, their human existence and identity. From this I began to be increasingly interested in our consumer ‘output’ be it in the form of lists and the planning of consumption to Friday night curry orders and the waste, disposability and value of what has been consumed, be it digital, material or social.

My current WIP’s are sculptural installations or assemblages manifesting a digital map or engagement. Looking at how identity or another form or being could manifest and be defined by a consumer output. And also a 2 dimensional piece/ assembly looking at our consumption, waste, desire and digital overload though the screen. My next endeavours will be moving towards how sustainability can influence art, and identity through waste and consumption.

April Jackson