Simon Waters

Untitled A – Untitled B, Ramps in Conversation 2018

l articulate through the synthesis of objects, words, and photography the vicissitudes of my daily life, a personal narrative of living in the city with a physical limitation. I write poetry onto the very things that stimulate my consciousness, be they delightful, embarrassing, funny or infuriating. Artwork that bares biographical witness, my rite of passage projected back onto architectural features; stories of inescapable architectural entanglements of the wheeled-embodied-subject. I have made sound sculptures ‘Ramps in Conversation’, that argue their own aesthetics and purpose, what they believe they are and the audience that they serve, their value and meaning.

I am currently exploring spaces where there is opportunity to express bodily virtuosity, cultural spaces where access for the disabled is more than going from A to B. Can those of us on wheels have as much fun, as cyclists, or the skateboarder in the city. Going beyond intentional function, breaking with the plan, finding agency in the city.

Simon Waters