Understanding synaesthesia

“On Monday, Jan. 2, 1911, at half past 7 in the evening, Wassily Kandinsky attended a concert at a hotel ballroom in Munich. The next day he painted it.” The New York Times (2013)

Wassily Kandinsky, Impression III (Concert), 1911

Yes, Wassily Kandinsky was touched by the same stroke of faith as me: the gift of experiencing an inner reflection of sound and image. He renders the visual mark of his hearing onto his retina and brain – not as an objective reproduction, but rather as a subjective interpretation of the music of composer Arnold Schönberg.

Looking at it from the exterior to understand its cause seems a doomed act to me – doomed to failure. By contrast, expressing it from within to the outside world makes much more sense.

Wagner’s Lohengrin: “I saw all my colors in spirit, before my eyes. Wild, almost crazy lines were sketched in front of me.” 

Wassily Kandinsky, Composition VII, 1913

The way colour speak and sounds appear is always a unique experience that engages all other senses. What activates it? A sixth sense maybe – a strong sensitivity to reality, to myself.

My creative process is organic – it follows the cycle of inspiration:

nucleus

growth

climax

breath

It is fluid and continual. It is energy. It is pulse.

It goes beyond the two-dimensional medium of the canvas, further into the world, as part of the world. It reconstructs the sensorial unity that I experience within. It takes shape, it creates movement, it becomes a stand-alone composition that could generate other works.