On Artist Statement

During Unit 1, I developed a new Artist Statement

Ai is the other man’s daughter. Four years old. She is with a four or five-year-old boy, playing sands on the beach. They play well.
The boy’s parents come to take their kid into the sea. The boy goes to Ai to say goodbye.

I’m going to the sea!
What are you saying? Ai asked.
I’m going to the sea!

And then he goes into the sea. When he comes back, they have already forgotten each other.

Regardless the debate of whether the meaning of the artwork sits outside of work, I think one of the difficulties on asking the artist to provide a personal statement is that it is equivalent to ask them to firmly guarantee to the others – “I know what I am doing”, “I ‘m certain about what the works are doing”. It seems to me that it’s not my job to write a concisely explanatory statement to provide a sense of security, which happens to be an effortlessly turn back on the most important things – to continuously question myself and to respect the mysteries of art.

To solve this dilemma, the best thing to do is to make the artist statement itself also a piece of work. In this case, the statement is no longer an answer that the audience is seeking for, but a real trap disguised as a safety net. Regarding this, and also the demand for text length, the readability of the text, the connection between work and artist, I present the short story above as my artist statement. If anyone else keeps asking me what that statement means, my final surrender would be undressing myself in front of the window of the gallery so that the neighbours can see it. The artist says, look at me! I have a profound meaning!