Marketing: Dynamic Visual Engagement by Marketing Matt PART ONE: FINDING YOUR USP

Marketing: Dynamic Visual Engagement by Marketing Matt

PART ONE: FINDING YOUR USP

Hi All.

My names Matt or as they call me in the business, Marketing Matt.  Today I am writing to explain my main objectives and strategies when it comes to promoting either yourself,  a product or a brand. Through the implementation of these key strategies not only will you be able to reach a higher level of engagement, but you will also be able to ascertain your key demographic or as we like to call (Target Audience).  Let us begin.

Finding your USP

USP stands for unique selling point and is probably one of the most crucial aspects of setting yourself apart from the competition.  Early on in the development of either yourself, brand or product. You need to find those certain aspects that set you apart from the rest.  This works even if you are entering a highly competitive market, A good example of this would the game console industry.

This is a market dominated by three main companies Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. However, each of these companies has a particular niche or USP. Sony’s is the promotion of it being a serious console for serious gamers. Microsoft leans more towards the idea of a home entertainment system and perhaps the best example would be the example of Nintendo, who year after year release a console with new technology from the four-player functionality of the N64,  the motion controls of the Wi, and to the portability of the Switch.  This strategy seems to work well for Nintendo, with many of their console releases often being sold out within a matter of days. This just goes to show that even in a tightly controlled market, having an interesting USP can help fortify a position in that market.

This strategy can also be applied to the creative industry, However, for this, you will need key industry insights. Visit shows and know the scene and create your identity. Look at previous successful Artists, identify their USP and how they were able to capitalise on this.

This doesn’t have to be gimmicky or cliché, However, I would like you to think of your favorite ‘Famous’ Artist.  Now ask yourself, Is their work considered different, identifiable with a distinct style?

I can guarantee that the majority have said yes.  This is where not only identifying your USP helps market your work,  in some cases it becomes part of your brand.  A could example of this is  Dali,  who presented many different USP’s as a Surrealist. Surrealism was not unique to Dali However, creating techniques such as the paranoiac-critical method would set Dali apart from his other contemporaries.  This USP and the elements of his work would ultimately create a brand for Dali, a good example of this would be the usage of the melting clocks in his work, created under his USP but ultimately becoming an unofficial logo for the artist.

However, if you may really feel that you have no new USP  to offer, then quite simply make your USP the fact that you do it better. This, of course, requires confidence which is another important subject.

Join me, Next Week where I will be discussing the importance of confidence and adding value to your work.