Unit 1 installation

Unit 1 installation

For this installation I really focused on the mode of hanging and took into consideration the materials that were used to hang, for instance the use of pulley systems and what wall hooks to use to wrap the rope around to secure the paintings in position. Even though this installation “screams” painting it is also not possible to read it as purely painting but also a sculpture, a comment that was said by a few viewers when viewing the work.

I feel that this installation had many connotations to props in theatre, the old ways of moving props up and down on a stage, I like this idea of seeing my paintings as props, that they have a conversations together. Especially as I do not see them working alone and not overlapping each other as the way the paintings are painted where not done to “professional” level, individually they do not contain the immersive aspect which colourfield paintings can have.

I feel what was missing from individual the paintings was that one was too flat, even though it contained the most layers it still felt too block like, I feel that they need more of a reflective aspect if they are to be hung in different ways that will always have an interaction with light. When thinking of this, the screen (theatre screen) comes to mind and its way of floating or hovering, very much like these paintings.

Thinking of the screen led me to research artists such as Mika Tajima, a Brooklyn based artist and musician, the pieces in her work which I gravitated towards the most was the installation: “Double” (2008). These panel like paintings that have the ability to moved like a school board, what struck me was not the geometric shapes nor the colours, but more the the wood being used in the installation as an extension of the farm itself, reminding me of the work I produced last term of the painting on wheels. Even though this installation does not move in the space there is a notion of mobility and like a wall separating apparatus. Invading the space in a way, cutting off sections of vision.

Tajima’s work invoke performance and engagement of the body from the viewer, showing the production in her work, I believe this to have been a focal point in this installation for Unit 1 show. When thinking about my work I still feel that colour is a prominent point and that I needed to work better on the individual paintings, furthermore the overlapping of paintings started the thinking of overlapping colour and Jessica Stockholder’s use of the word “Leakage to describe her work. I then went onto the idea of leakage and what this meant to me and my practice, thinking of physical leakage, extending into the thought of separation and the separation in colour and my paintings. That separating them from another could be an interesting idea.

Seperation and colour.