Paint!

PAINT! Press Release

For more information about the artists please contact:

+44 (0)20 7833 2591 +44 (0)775 448 6068 info@whiteconduitprojects.uk

White Conduit Street Projects 1 White Conduit Street London N1 9EL

Sheefali Asija

Lelia Byron

Paul David Chisholm

Youngeun Kim

PRIVATE VIEW: Friday 8th March 6-9pm

EXHIBITION ON VIEW: 7-9th March 10am-6pm

Paint! When asked “Is Painting dead?” “Yawn,” Charles Saatchi replied in 2009. What is the state of contemporary painting today? Four MA Fine Art students from Chelsea College of Art delve into this issue through a diverse range of styles and ways of making.

Paint in its very simplest form is pigment and a binder, but once transformed by the artist it becomes something magical, inexplicable, and a source of wonderment. Said Vincent Van Gogh, “Paintings have a life of their own that derives from the artist’s soul.”

“As a painter, do I express openness?” says Youngeun Kim. “When a painter agonises over how to select an object and express it, the object is not the object of reality. It is an object that everyone knows, but the object in my painting is the subject of my own thinking at that moment of expression. I think that painting reveals the purity of the child and the bare faces of people”

For artist Paul Chisholm, “painting is a process which allows his soul to explore and express his deepest fears and emotions.” His current series “Clowning around the joke is on us?” explores exactly this topic.

Shefali Asija’s work lies at the intersection of art and science. “Science fills me with awe,” she says. “It captures my imagination and gives me a philosophical view of life. Painting can capture these qualities to engage the viewer’s curiosity and get them to think about the nature of existence.”

“Painting, with its unlimited definition, can be many things and serve many purposes,” says Lelia Byron. “I paint stories of people and places both real and imagined. I see my work as way to make connections and to explore of the universality of human dreams, needs, struggles, and joys. One of the most interesting things for me about painting is that a painting is not woven in one direction. A painting has no one beginning; it has no one end.”

Painting as a medium and as a message encapsulates the whole of the human spirit– it is alive.

White Conduit Projects opened in Central London location at 1 White Conduit Street N1 in November 2014. It is showcasing Japanese artists and designers alongside British and international artists in a programme of innovative exhibitions across a variety of media.