Cyber Grrrl workshop

Email received from Louise Latter of BOM (Birmingham Open Media) on 01/02/2019:

“Hi EM, How are you? I am emailing because I was wondering if you were available/willing to get involved in a short bit of engagement that needs to happen soon. Our next exhibition is ‘Cyber Grrrl’ and it looks at cyber feminism, technology (especially the internet), female form and identity. We’d love to include some short films on our social media and in the gallery that have been made by young women. We have a partner school that we work with (James Brindley Schools) and so we would work with some of their students. When I say short, I mean short, 20/30 second snippets that would most likely be very abstract in form. The wider exhibition is shaping up to be a soft aesthetic with lots of plants and rainbow strobes of natural light coming in the windows through holographic paper…..we can talk more but please let me know if it would even be possible to happen in February as obviously you’re in London now! I could heavily facilitate with the girls and you could maybe create animations from their ideas – you may not even need to be there! I am interested in shapes and objects and how they can represent feelings etc. so imagine I work with them to visualise what their inner identity is, what their inner cyborg looks like. I could be like a guided meditation almost and they draw without thinking, then we (you) transform these designs into gorge little images floating on a cloud of a safe, female internet – you get me?!

Louise”

______
The following are mockup collages created by the students based on images I provided, as well as their own drawing and text; followed by videos I created in response.
/////
Lynx Battle Angel by Jade
“Lynx Battle Angel is in space and in water, she has an electric Japanese katana (sword). The blue flying object is her soul, which Battle Angel is always seeking. Made by Jade”

2in1 by Miracle

“2in1 is a mixed race cyborg who is flying the flag for LGBT rights, the Borg is half white, half black and moves between genders.

She is on the moon and has Afro hair.

She is looking for her metal heart and has a box which can start and stop time.

By Miracle. She believes identity is real and online and her gender, race and religion all fit into her identity.”

Rosatron by Jo

“Rosatron is a borg in space but also in water. She has a hat with a propeller which makes her fly and whatever she thinks whilst wearing the hat actually happens!

Her creator Jo thinks that identity includes your age, sex and race and it is something you grow into.”