The risks of non-genuine software are easy to miss

Time to talk about some nonsense-

(tbh I have been having a lot of trouble writing full rational sentences)

Quando as palavras nos faltam e faltamos às palavras.

Google translator says, “When words are missing and we miss words.”

There are a million different ways to say the same thing.

When the words fail you and you fail the words.

When you forget your words and the words forget you.

When words go missing and you go missing from the words.

When words vanish and you vanish from the words.

When words flee from you and you flee from the words.

But sometime none of them seem right.

An action seen through different cameras is like making several translations of the same text.

The core is the same, but its communication and its meaning are altered through the medium.

***

The risks of non-genuine software are easy to miss at the Unit 1 show (January 2019)

My work for the Unit 1 show was a play on these ideas of translation of reality through documentation, ans most importantly, how does the 360º image/virtual reality change our conception of what can be conceived as truth especially in a time when everyone is suspicious.

The main video seen in the screenshot above shows three different perspectives of the same action performed in a virtual reality drawing software. The first one (from left to right) shows my own view of what is happening. You can see what I see, you can feel the weight of my face moving  from side to side. Only when I give myself some space to look at the drawing I was making, it is possible to understand what I am doing: a scan of my own body.

Whereas the first video is set on the virtuality, the middle one shows the viewer what I am enable to see. I am blindfolded. I am controlled by the physical boundaries drawn on the floor which are set by the limits of the green rug. These create boarders around where my imagination can go, as well as denounce the technology’s limits.

The last video was filmed on a phone by another person. It contradicts the other two because it shows a point of view which is outside of the main action. The others try to mimic the human eye, whereas this one does not try to hide it’s machine nature. It is an artificial standpoint.

…removed from the center,

….close to the margin where surveillance cameras function.

My interest in virtual reality is mainly due to my concerns related to the dematerialization of the body.

I am drawing my body in virtually reality…

I am scanning it…

I am creating a copy…

…and deleting it right afterwords.

***

Ganzfeld Aural, by James Turrell, at the Jewish Museum in Berlim.

Recently I went to see James Turrell’s Ganzfeld Aural  at the Jewish Museum in Berlin. This was probably the most successful immersive installation I have ever visited (even more convincing than any VR artwork) in the sense that it completely made me lose sense of where I was.  I felt like my body had been upload to The Matrix‘s white room scene. Reality seemed oddly digital. I realized that this was the feeling I was trying to, not portray, but to discuss or explore with my work.

Entering the installation “Aural”, visitors will be submerged in an atmosphere of indefinite and dematerialized space. They will be hard pressed to detect the light source. Turrell uses a powerful but soft light, which completely washes out contrast. The uniform, monochrome lighting makes the room appear without contours. The viewer’s eye has nothing to grasp onto, so a feeling of disorientation may result. In this dimensionless room, light, color, and space melt together. Our power of sight gets lost in a diffuse fog of color. @https://www.jmberlin.de/en/press-release-11-april-2018

***

The installation of the video work meant to play with the architecture of the room in the Cookhouse gallery (although I think it wasn’t as successful as I hoped it would be). I often like creating compositions by using multiple screens or projections.  This time I decided to use both a wall projection and a tv screen on the floor. I was thinking of melting, decomposing, floating technology that behaves like nature and grows organically.

-natural technology-

-artificial nature-

-virtual bodies-

-physical data-

-fake escapism-

-real detachment.