Monologue 01

Alex Akiwumi

The memory.
For it had always seemed to her, that it would merely recede into the background. It would become a haze. Oh, she was wrong. What a night it would have been without the haunting of the past. The doors had been taken off the hinges and the feeling could never be shut out. The sounds, the smells, the sights. How still, cold and tense. The faces lost their definition, slowly corroding. Numb. Standing there by the open window, knowing something awful was about to happen; looking at the sky, at the trees and the motionless leaves. Giulia said “close the window” — was that it? — “switch off the lights”— was that it? She forgot which.

Vickie Amiralis

Bare soles wonder through the fields of green.
The blowing breeze beckoning.
Shimmering to the song of Spring.
Birds circling, mid flight, eyes on the tops of the trees.
Movement, change, venture towards a wilder path.
Back to the blocks.
Forward to the breeze.

Ewald Rist

The world is blue at its edges and in its depths. This blue is the light that got lost. Light at the blue end of of the spectrum does not travel the whole distance from the sun to us. It disperses among the molecules of the air, it scatters in water. Water is colorless, shallow appears to be the color of whatever lies underneath it, but deep water is full of this scattered light, thepurer the water the deeper the blue. The Sky is blue for the
same reason, but the blue at the horizon, the blue of the land that seems to be dissolving into the sky, is a deeper, dreamier, melancholy blue, the blue at the farthest reaches of places where you see for miles, the blue of distance. The light that does not touch us, does not travel the whole distance, the light that gets lost, gives us the beauty of the world, so much of which is in the color blue.

For many years, I have been moved by the blue at the far edges of what can be seen, that color of horizons, of remote mountain ranges, of anything far away. The color of that distance is the color of an emotion, the color of solitude and of desire, the color of there seen from here, the color of where you are not. And the color of where you can never go. For the blue is not in the place those miles away at the horizon, but in the atmospheric distance between you and the mountains. “Longing,” says the poet Robert Hass, “because desire is full of endless distances.” Blue is the colorof longing for the distances you never arrive in.

Sorin Prodea

A week of reflexion

In the last week I have been in a pause status, in terms of carrying on with my projects. This is because I realised that something is wrong with it…ok, maybe not wrong, but that something is not there and that is not where it should be. So, I started to question myself and my thoughts a bit, to try to find an answer of to why does this project and the concept interests me.

I came to the realisation that this concept is about way more than I initially thought. If this project started initially just as a concept of trying to prove if a painting appeals because Benford Law is respected and then came the stage later of finding out that i need to upgrade the concept, i need to add another layer. This is where the idea to introduce duality came in, the idea of duality is good but the application of it and the way I tried to do it was flowed; by applying different textures and applying splashes of paint the work turned out to be in my opinion decorative, which is a result that i definitelly didn’t want it.

After a feedback session I started to question all this things, like what are the link that connect me to the things that I want to create about. And I came to the realisation that they are way more connected than I thought. I came to understood a lot why duality is an important aspect for me, is because when I was a kid I was living in a constant duality world. When I was young, I was obsessed with cartoons and TV, you could leave me there for 6 hours and come back and I would still be there. Then I came to the realisation that the duality that I was leaving as a kid was mainly that I was living in a fantasy world (the one of the TV and cartoons) and then I was facing the real life, the reality of a post communist Bucharest, with lots of grey concrete tones for buildings and that was definitely the opposite of the fantasy world I was living in when I was in front of the TV. Also, other elements of duality that I found links to are the fact that my generation was the last one before the big technological boom, like I was quite old till I got my first phone and you couldn’t do much with it back then, I was the generation that was born in between phases: post communism democracy and the technological boom. So I was living between two worlds and I couldn’t notice till now.

Now, coming back to the project, I realised that the concept is not primarily about Benford Law anymore, Is about the duality between the worlds that I was living in: fantasy – reality. So, I will use the same structure for the paintings as I did till now, by using benford law, a law a pattern and balance and equilibrium that will represent my fantasy world and then the layer of duality, the layer of reality of the post communist childhood that i had or the reality of the kid that was part of the both worlds (before technology – with technology) will be added through the use of durational performance. For each painting, I will do an 8h performance in adding the second layer, I will be using textures that have a meaning or symbolism behind it. And after the 8h are done, that’s it, the paintings are done, I can’t change anything to them.

Yeah, this is where I am at the moment in the pursuit of doing the current project

Yijie Sun

Continued research on phytoacoustics -review of “Plants emit informative airborne sounds under stress

There is a research paper post on “bioRxiv” talking about how the plants make sound. This article is a preprint and has not been certified by peer review. But this journal Increased scientific understanding of plant evolution and ecology around the world.

How can plants make sounds without vocal cords? The researchers said that this may be the result of “cavitation” inside the plant, that is, bubbles formed in the xylem and exploded. Previous studies have found that cavitation phenomenon produces vibration, but it is not related to transmitted sound. In case of danger, inaudible ultrasound will be emitted. This shows that sound is closely related to the physiological state of plants.

These sounds can also be heard from 5 meters away. Researchers believe that this distance indicates that other hearing creatures, such as mice and moths, may hear and interpret this sound.

These results prove the potential of studying plant acoustics and indicate that this form of communication may play an important role in plant ecology and evolution, and may have a direct impact on plant monitoring in agriculture.

Reference:

I. Khait, O. Lewin-Epstein, R. Sharon, K. Saban, R. Perelman, A. Boonman, Y. Yovel, L. Hadany.“Plants emit informative airborne sounds under stress”.doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/507590

Wenhue Xie

Posters of Chinese parenting at 1950 provides surprisingly insightful parenting directions that are still relevant today. They contain more positive advice on loving, nurturing and educating the next generation.

Today’s Chinese parenting has been labeled as “authoritarian” by some researchers.

Authoritarian parenting is a style of child-rearing that emphasises high standards and a tendency to control kids through shaming, the withdrawal of love, or other punishments.

Studies Chua’s ideas links “tiger parenting” with mixed results. In some cases, children actually experience lower academic achievement .

In other cases, tiger parenting predicts higher achievement, but poorer well-being: Kids are at higher risk for emotional problems.

It is very difficult for the class to leap forward, especially now that the class is gradually solidified. But it’s amazing that, on the contrary, it’s often people who are completely unable to judge this, who have made great efforts to realise the class leap.

I’ve seen a lot of people trying to make up for their mistakes in direction or lack of resources with diligence. Such people’s success rate is not particularly high. It is even more distorted to make up for the mistakes in one’s own direction or the lack of ability and resources with the diligence of children.

When parents are not elites, why do they think they have the ability to cultivate their children into elites? Because they think they have complete control over a person?

In conclusion, how to define the elite? Can you know yourself and get along well with the world, or can you become a millionaire? But today, more and more children suffer from depression under the pressure of teaching and feel that they are losing their childhood. The true meaning of education is to care about children’s emotions or children’s achievements. I think there is still a lot of progress and room to think about in education.

Qianlin Wang

4th February

I was not allowed to eat anything from 9am yesterday to prepare for today’s gastroscopy and colonoscopy. Enduring hunger is easier than you think if you know you just can’t eat anything. Volatile emotions only come in when there is hope that you can somehow get what you want.

From 5pm, I got to drink Moviprep, a special laxative. D said they call it this name probably because they play some movies for you to be relaxed while checking your stomach. He was likely just fucking with me. 

Moviprep contains two larger sachets and two smaller ones. I needed to mix the large one and the small one with 1L water, and drink 250ml every 15-30 minutes. The same thing needs to be repeated at 9pm. 

“A new product, Moviprep, is a pleasant-tasting PEG based laxative that requires..” The site wasn’t lying, it did taste ok. Not anymore when your whole evening is spent on the toilet and you still haven’t finished drinking it. The toilet seat was kept warm during the 9 hours. Every time I went to the toilet, I could feel a fragment of my soul departing from my back passage. In the end, I was basically just peeing out of my bottom, soullessly.

In the morning, I managed to brush my teeth and wash my face. Then I couldn’t get up anymore. Even raising my hands had to take a lot of willpower. The procedure was ok, though I could not remember much due to the sedation.

“It was a memorable Christmas and start of 2021 for us. The year of butthole problems.” Thanks D.

I will write about something more intellectual in the next issue I promise. 

CHAOTANG FAN

I try to think about the proposition of nothingness and the end result of human beings. Paralyze yourself with such a huge proposition. In this way, you can make yourself feel that everything visible to the naked eye is unimportant.

1. Explosion. I can always imagine the big bang when I stand at the crossroads. It all feels soft to me
  2. I am afraid of everything in reality, just as I am afraid of losing reality. It’s like choosing the red capsule or the blue capsule in the movie matrix.
  3. Is it right or wrong to conceive the future? Corporate colonialism, and other pessimistic fantasies about the future, will preconceptions let us go in this direction.

Dingyi Feng

A DLALOGUE IN WINTER-MONOLOGUE FROM WINTER

2020 is a very special year, its uniqueness is bound to go down in history, humans ushered in an unprecedented winter. The coronavirus spread almost all over the world. Artists are forced to slow the pace, stay away from crowds or stay at the studio. In the global winter, everyone will leave unique memories.

Exhibition Source:www.yanjiaobiennial.com

WHAT IS THE UNIQUE LANGUAGE OF WINTER?

PlayCurling,2020,Performance Art Record by image,Dingyi Feng,Beijing

This performance art is about the summary and reflection of my daily work. By collecting all the remaining painting materials on the spot and placing them outdoors of my studio, they inadvertently froze into an object similar to a curling ball. Thus, the formal summary of the remaining material became the curling game I played with my friends at night.

Other Details:Instagram\Twitter\Facebook\Youtube: yanjiao_biennial

Mingyang Gao

I saw the Parasite movie, directed by the great Bong Joon-ho. Among all the metaphors in “Parasite”, smell is the most unique setting in the film and one of the most important images. The director presents it four times in the film through audio-visual means.

Parasites is a visualization of class difference through smell. While appearance can be disguised, the “scent of poverty” is embedded in the marrow of the bones and in the genes, and is a marker of identity that cannot be gotten rid of. The bottom-class people are marked by their smell, and this invisible and untouchable thing becomes their original sin. At the same time, the smell also symbolizes the chain of class, which is locked firmly since birth and cannot be broken free for a lifetime, which is the reason why the “parasites” can never rise from the ground, as if the water can never flow upward. The change of smell, like a line, pulling the progress of the plot, while the smell has become an insurmountable gap between the poor class and the rich class, always remind each other’s identity is very different.

The word smell reminds me of my childhood, because my grandfather was in the government, so I grew up living in a special place, surrounded by my grandfather’s colleagues, and is living in the “mountain” surrounded by house. My family lives relatively high, where there is a large house below my house, but the location is relatively low, so there is no sunlight for a long time, so the original occupants do not want to live there. A house of this size is very difficult to rent out, so the family split the house into many rooms to rent out. Tenants are usually foreigners who come here to work. For example, a small room may live a family of three or their children will come to live here during the summer holidays, they use the common toilet and kitchen. So, once in the summer I would go to their children to play, when I went into their residence, I could feel a great smell, in the environment and on the children, at the time, I was also disgusted with the smell, is pungent, I still remember once I returned home I was still desperately smelling my body, because I was afraid that after staying with them for a long time I would also have this smell. But in my understanding at the time, I think everyone’s home has a different smell, so I was still very willing to play with them, even though my family was very much against it, and they wouldn’t let those kids come to my house. When I was a teenager, I suddenly found that I began to reject a little, I remember an aunt below, in my childhood she often and greet, our relationship is not bad, but then she had a child, and then see me began to ask me: your family have you wear clothes as a child, can I give? I slowly began to resent it, I began to not want to see them or see also as not know. I began to think about why I had this change of mind and I explore the relationship between smell and class properties.

Thanks! You've already liked this
No comments