Observer or Spectator

I always thought that while I walk I can be a spectator or an actor. I can choose to participate in the crowd , or stay and watch how the crowd is manifesting. While I was walking in my hometown I felt that everyone could have been an observer, because I was familiar with their faces and they were with mine. Sometimes I caught myself looking at how others are walking, rather then being aware of the way I walk. What I find intriguing is the fact that I can choose in which ‘movie’ I want to be, how I want to act, and what roles I give the other people on the street, because in each of them are part of my journey. While I walk, what am I for others? A ghost, an anonymous person which they just pass by in a normal, boring day. I can be both, but what happens when I am noticed, by a women, a child, a man. It’s different in each case, but I am going to talk about the last one. Sometimes I have the feeling that I am being looked at. I can see a woman who looks at me, but when I see a man doing this, it’s a different feeling completely. I feel in a way that he is invading my space by choosing to focus on me. In comparison to men , I feel that as a woman you ‘get used’ to the feeling of ‘being looked at’. Sometimes when I walk I can feel that I am being watched, but sometimes I just act like I do not know, like the other person does not exist , like he is a ghost. Maybe this can be a passive way of treating the situation. When talking about women in public their status have changed over time, but in some ways it remain the same: ‘Women’s presence in public becomes with startling frequency an invasion of their private parts, sometimes literally, sometimes verbally.’ ( Solnit, 2001, p. 234). Sometimes I was being more of a spectator: ‘Observer, philosopher,flaneur’, ‘he is a painter of the passing moment’. ( Baudelaire, 1964, p. 4). ‘The flaneur’, this character who walks around the city and observe : ‘only a man can be a flaneur’. This spectator of the crowd it is described as a ‘he’. Why is that? Maybe because the man was and still is the entitled observer. They can analyse a woman body, how she moves, the way she is dressed and how she looks for his own pleasure: ‘One of the arguments about why women could not be flaneurs was that they were, as either commodities or consumers, incapable of being sufficiently detached from the commerce of city life.’ ( Solnit, 2001, p. 237). For centuries women, were and still are in some cultures not worthy of being or feeling in public or on the streets as their male counterparts.

A woman can be as much as an observer or a spectator of the crowd just as a man can. Someone can look at you, but actually they do not notice you because they were trapped in their own thoughts.

page1image3793152

Thanks! You've already liked this
No comments